Global Ports Forum presents - 2nd Executive Workshop on Advanced Shipping Business,
Feb 2-3, 2017 Singapore
May 18-19 2017 Singapore
2nd Executive Workshop on Advanced Shipping Business, 2-3 Feb 2017, Singapore
About the course
This course helps participants to understand the elements common to all sectors of Shipping. In particular, participants will see the interaction between the various players involved in the shipment process. This course will help participants to understand the general process involved in International Shipping. Participants interested understanding more about Shipping or Trading may consider taking this course. It also provides a foundation to the Port related courses.
Key learning outcomes
- Have an overview of the key segments of the shipping industry and the ship types related to these segments. Apply this knowledge to match appropriate vessel type to cargo type.
- Describe the essentials of Maritime Geography and identify the key waterways in the world. Apply this to route planning.
- Have an understanding of vessel & voyage economics and the underlying parameters – operating costs and financing costs. Apply the concept of NPV to evaluate long term investment in assets. Apply this knowledge for the project.
- Understand the impact of Piracy on shipping
- Describe the different documents used in Shipping. Apply this knowledge in the project.
- Understand how Shipping Law applies to the business. Apply this knowledge in solving the project scenarios.
MODULE 1: SHIPPING INDUSTRY & MARKET STRUCTURE. MARITIME GEOGRAPHY & PORTS. COMMERCIAL CHARTERING
1. Why Shipping?
- Shipping Industry & Market Structure.
2. Maritime Geography, Canals, Ocean Currents & Weather
3. Ports & Terminals. Related terminology.
4. Run through on vessel types.
5. An overview of the market – historical trends and future expectations
6. The voyage charter market – structure. Spot fixtures and COAs. Offers and counter offers. recaps and charter parties
7. Time Charter market – Over view
8. Charter Party analysis – using the correct document for the trade. Protective clauses for charterers. rights and obligations of ship-owners and charterers
9. Over view of the indices & the function of BDI
MODULE 2: VESSEL & VOYAGE ECONOMICS
1. Vessel Economics
2. Port Charges methodology
3. Daily Running Costs
4. Financing Costs
- Types of financing
5. Voyage Estimation
- Comparing voyage returns by Time Charter Equivalent
6. Understanding the Statement of Facts
7. Laytime – drawing up laytime statement to your advantage and arguing your case
MODULE 3: DOCUMENTS BILLS OF LADING SALE CONTRACT & INCOTERMS
1. Bill of Lading & its Functions
- rights and obligations of ship-owners and charterers under B/L
2. Use of Letter of Indemnities to release cargo and their potential consequence
3. Incoterms – what do they do - Practice & Theory
4. The four groups and eleven terms in Incoterms 2010
5. Risk – who is responsible if the goods are lost or damaged & how does this affect Insurance policies
6. Dispute resolution – jurisdiction and choice of dispute resolution (legal process or ADR)
MODULE 4: SHIPPING ORGANISATIONS / PIRACY
1. Key Shipping Bodies
- Classification Societies role in shipping
2. Piracy the scourge.
- Effect of Piracy on stake holders – Owner Charterers and Cargo owners
Who should attend
Shipping Companies, Forwarders, Logistics companies, Intermodal Service providers; Port Authorities; Port / Terminal developers, Port operators; Banks, PE, Port Service providers; Port Equipment Suppliers; Port Designers / Planners; Port Consultants
About the Course Director
Subhangshu Dutt, a shipping veteran of more than 40 years, is presently the Executive Director for Om Maritime Pte Ltd. He was the executive Director for Krishnapatnam Port Pte Ltd from Feb 2010 to Aug 2015 where he was overall in-charge of Port Marketing.
Before that, Dutt had an illustrious career was with the Pacific International Lines (PIL) Group till 2008. From 2006-2008, Dutt was the CEO Pacific Shipping Trust (PST). PST was the first listed ship financing vehicle on the SGX. Took the company through successful IPO in May 06. During the two year term, Dutt had doubled the asset base and the revenues. From 1988 to 2006, Dutt headed Various Management Positions with the PIL Group. Till 2006, he was heading the Strategic Planning Team designing Liner networks and optimizing vessel utilization. Alliance negotiations.
From 1971 to 1988, Dutt was on board many ships as a Ship Captain and was in command of many vessels.
Dutt is Singapore Branch Vice-Chairman of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS). ICS is an international body of professionals in Shipping Industry. Please view http://ics.org.sg/ for more details.
Dutt is also a Director on the Board of Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SICCI) SICCI. Established in 1924, SICCI is one of Singapore’s most respected and active commercial organisations today, with more than 900 members. For more details http://www.sicci.com/
On or Before 2 Jan 2017: The ‘Early Bird’ Rate is S$2895 – Save S$400!
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$2895!
• From 3 Jan 2017: The Regular Rate is S$3295
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$3295!
Note: All fees stated include luncheons, refreshments and complete set of documentation. It does not include the cost of accommodation and travel.
To register, please submit the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
What Best Describes Your Industry Sector?:
For cheque payments: To be made payable to 'Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.' Please do not send post-dated cheque.
For telegraphic transfers:
Account Name: Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.,
Account No. : 695 477 141 001.
Beneficiary Bank: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, Singapore. (Swift: OCBCSGSG),
Address : 65 Chulia Street #01-00, OCBC Centre, Singapore 049513.
Please supply confirmation via email of the TT from your bank. Transmitting bank charges must be paid by sender. Please quote both delegate and company name as reference.
Kindly note that as we are providing a special rate for ‘early bird’ sign up, we will need to receive your company payment by 2 Jan 2017 to enjoy the discount.
Details of GPF executive workshops/forums in the upcoming few months include:
1. 2nd Executive Workshop on Multi-Purpose Terminal Business & Operations, 15-16 Dec 2016, Singapore. MCF Training Grant is available for eligible participants. Please refer to www.mpa.gov.sg/mcf for information”.
2. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Managing Tenancies / Leases - Landlord and Tenant Obligations in Business Tenancies, 15-16 Dec 2016, Singapore
3. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Public-Private Partnership Infrastructure Contracts for Non-Legal Professionals - Practical Understanding of Legal and Common Commercial Clauses, 19- 20 Dec 16, Singapore
4. 2ndExecutive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, 19-20 Dec 2016, Singapore
5. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Port Operations, 22-23 Dec 2016, Singapore
6. 2nd Executive Workshop on InterModal Solutions – Value Creation, USP identification & Market Positioning for Ports & Terminals, 29-30 Dec 2016, Singapore
7. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Negotiating & Managing Contracts, Jan 4-5 2017, Singapore
8. Executive Workshop on Reefer Container Logistics, January 12-13, 2017, Singapore
9. 3rd Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, 28-29 Jan 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
10. 4th Executive Workshop on Ports Financing and Investing, 28-29 Jan 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
11. 3rd Executive Workshop on Multi-Purpose Terminal Business & Operations, 30-31 Jan 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12. 2nd Executive Workshop on InterModal Solutions – Value Creation, USP identification & Market Positioning for Ports & Terminals, 30-31 Jan 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
13. Executive Workshop on Use of Automated Guided Vehicles and drones in Ports and Terminals, 30-31 Jan 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
14. The2nd Global Ports Forum, 1-2 February 2017, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
15. 2nd Executive Workshop on Use of Technology for Ports and Terminals, 1-2 Feb 2017
16. The Global Ports Forum Awards, 2 Feb 17, Dubai, UAE
17. 2nd Executive Workshop on Advanced Shipping Business, Feb 2-3, 2017, Singapore
18. Executive Workshop on Global Trade, Macroeconomic Policy and the Impact on Regional Trade and Shipping, 20-21 Feb 2017, Singapore
19. 2nd Executive Workshop on Bulk Liquid Terminals, Commercial Considerations for Investment & Financing, March 6-7 2017, Singapore
20. Executive Workshop on Excel in Developing, Implementing & Managing Service Level Agreements, 13 & 14 March 2017, Singapore
21. 2nd Executive Workshop on Strategic Planning for Ports & Terminals, 3-4 April 17, Singapore.
22. Executive Programme on Achieving Excellence in Winning Deals & Effective Sales Management – Proven Techniques & Insights for Ports & Terminals, April 17-21, 2017, Singapore
23. Executive Workshop on Effective Concession Agreements for Ports & Terminals, 24-25 April, 2017, Singapore
Looking forward to welcoming you at the executive workshops/forums!
The Global Ports Forum
GLOBAL PORTS FORUM PTE. LTD.
10 Anson Road
DID: +65 65197662
Fax: +65 6725 8438
Terms & Conditions:
No delegate registration will be accepted without completing registration details and full payment.
Upon receipt of your registration details and full payment, further programme information will be emailed to you including your proforma invoice and, if required, a letter of invitation for entry visa application.
Delegates will not be admitted unless payment has been received in Full.
Flights, Airport Transfers and Accommodation are not included in your delegate registration fee.
Refund Policy - a reimbursement of the registration fee, minus administrative charges will only be made if the participant has notified Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd. in writing that he/she is unable to attend the event no less than 30 days prior to the commencement of the event. No cancellation is allowed after that, but a replacement with another participant is allowed.
This programme is subject to change without notice, E&O.E.