AHA Past Winner's Tour: Old St Andrew's School and Church of the Ascension
The Old St Andrew’s School
Designed by Frank Wilmin Brewer in 1939, the old St Andrew’s School, was said to be one of his finest and largest completed work in Singapore. Originally a two-storey building before the addition of a third storey in 1952, it is now restored as the new Diocesan Centre. The restoration project received the 2006 Architectural Heritage Award and the Honorable Mention in the 2007 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Award.
Highlights include the quadrangle surrounded by colonnaded corridors, distinctive fish-scale stucco textured walls, the six-storey Lim Teck Kin Tower and the concrete line running down the centre of the tiled corridors, which was used to organise students into queues. Click here to find out more.
Church of the Ascension
Designed by Ho Kwong Yew & Sons in 1959 and completed in 1962, this place of worship is characterised by a bold, symmetrical front facade with clean and simple lines of the Modern style. From afar, its most distinctive feature is its modern interpretation of the traditional church steeple. The restoration project received the 2006 Architectural Heritage Award.
Highlights include the Sanctuary and Marble Baptismal Font at the 2nd storey. Click here to find out more.
This tour is conducted by the Diocese of Singapore.
Meet at the main entrance at 9.45am.
Address: The Diocesan Centre, 1 Francis Thomas Drive, Singapore 359340
How To Get Here: Take Bus 31 or 142 from Toa Payoh Interchange and alight at the St Andrew’s Junior School bus stop along Jalan Toa Payoh.
Registration opens on 29 October 2016 at 10am.
Click here to watch a special video on the Old St Andrew's School.