"We know what we are, but we know not what we may be”
~ William Shakespeare
Wondering how you can occupy your kids meaningfully this year-end school holidays? How about letting your kid learn a useful skill? Your kid will learn how to analyse problems, design solutions, write codes and programmes to make things work. Just imagine what they could create!
The Beginner Computhink for Kids class is an introductory program for kids to learn about programming (or coding) in a fun and enjoyable way. Your child will learn techniques to think like a programmer and apply Computational Thinking concepts to create mini games, animations or story projects of their choice.
At Computhink, we teach programming by using visual blocks with drag and drop functions where minimal typing is required. Our tried and tested approach makes it easy and fun for your child to create anything as quickly as they can imagine it, while picking up programming skills.
Learn the basics of Visual Block Programming (VBP) using Scratch (Scratch is developed by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab);
Acquire basic programming skills and coding concepts that professional programmers use in their daily work;
Harness the opportunities to think, to imagine, to explore, to create and most importantly, learn something useful while having fun; and
Develop an ability to think like a Programmer and apply Computational Thinking concepts to create mini games or animations of your kid’s choice.
Introduction to Programming
Basic Scratch Concepts
7 Basic Concepts of Computer Programming (that all Professional Programmers use!)
5 Steps of Computational Thinking
Creating Games, Storyboards and Fun Dynamic Animations
- Mon 19 Dec to Thu 22 Dec
- 9.30 am to 11.30 am (Slot One : 7 to 9 years old)
- 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm (Slot Two: 10 years and above)
- The Grandstand (previously Turf City), #04-10B
- None required. These classes are meant for beginners.
- A laptop will be provided for each child.
- If you would like to bring your own laptop (Windows 7 and above only), do let us know in advance!
- Use promo code 'SG51' and get $51 off; and
- All students who sign up for this holiday class will get to attend a regular Computhink Code Club class for FREE! (see Follow-on Mastery Classes in the last section).
- See http://www.computhink.com.sg/computhink-code-club/ for more info on the Code Club classes available.
1:8 Trainer to kids ratio in each class
By keeping the class small, we ensure that each kid gets the guidance and coaching he or she needs to create and bring their imaginations to life through programming. Besides allowing us to get to know your kid better, we also encourage the kids in our classes to also get to know one another and this is better facilitated in a small group setting.
Hands-on activity-based learning
We believe that kids learn best when they do it themselves in a fun environment. That is why we ensure that each kid is given a laptop to work their own respective projects and try their hand in the programming projects and activities. It is heartening each time we see the kids beaming and being proud of themselves when they could get the code to work as they want it to.
Our Teaching Philosophy
This idea that kids will learn anything that they want to, when they are given the freedom to create, inspires and drives our teaching philosophy. In this, we are influenced by the work of Sugata Mitra (Educational Researcher) whose research demonstrates the effect that a child’s innate curiosity and interest have on learning complex subjects outside the normal school environment. The key word here is interest. By itself, it is a simple word and concept, easily understood, but not so easy to influence, especially with children.
At Computhink, our approach to this learning conundrum is three-pronged and can be described by these 3 questions by the child:
- What can I do? - What is possible and achievable by programming? We approach this question by showing examples of fun projects that can be done with programming. These can include small mini-games or animations. In the beginner stage, the child would be unsure of what can be done, and it is helpful to be able to emulate and enhance something that is fun and cool.
- How can I do it? - Secondly, we guide the children to ask open-ended questions. For example, “How can I make the character walk? Can it jump? Can it fly?” As we answer these questions, this is where the learning starts for the child as we guide them along.
- What else can I do? - The Beginner Computhink class is, well, just the beginning. By the end of the 4 classes, the child would have grasped the basics of programming and computational thinking, and we want to show them what else is possible. By interfacing with other platforms (e.g. Arduino for robotics, Littlebits for home DIY projects), your child will be able to put their skills learnt in this course to good use.
Follow-on Mastery Classes
Building on the basic programming concepts from the Beginner Computhink for Kids! class, at the Code Club, kids will learn how these same basic concepts are applied and used in the other programming languages to do different things such as building websites and creating mobile apps and games. It is through regular and varied practice that promotes mastery and that is what we aim to do at our Computhink Code Club. Our goal is to develop your kid’s interest in programming and guide him or her to reach a skills level to be comfortable enough to build their own websites or creating suitable apps to solve everyday issues and make things better.
All students who sign up for this holiday class will get to attend a regular Computhink Code Club class for FREE!
Note: We may take photographs or videos of the students during the class. By registering your child's attendance, you agree to grant Computhink permission to use the photographs, videos or other materials produced during the class as part of Computhink's electronic or non-electronic promotional materials.
When & Where
Computhink provides Computational Thinking and Computer Programming classes for curious kids aged 7-16.
Our classes are customised to help your child learn essential programming skills quickly, easily and have fun creating at the same time.
Learn, explore, program, think computationally, have fun and share in the wonder of creation with your child.
For enquiries, please call/ whatsapp/ sms +65 8858 6173