Exclusively by Global Ports Forum - Executive Programme on Achieving Excellence in Winning Deals & Effective Sales Management - Proven Techniques & Insights for Ports & Terminals, 7 Nov to 11 Nov 2016, Singapore
Dear industry colleagues
About the Course
Highly engaging, participative learning about all aspects of Ports related high-value and multi-year
contract winning & up-selling techniques in five modules with defined learning objectives; subject
content, role-simulations among participants drive deliverables by participants over a 5-day-period.
Upon completion of the Course each participant is equipped with strong fundamental in contract winning skills to successful sell their respective organization’s products and services, assure customer satisfaction that drives repeat business, and maximize financial returns.
o Module One – Corporate and Strategic Sales Objectives – critically assess and crystalize roles &
impacts of the sales professionals in their attainment.
o Module Two – Five Steps of the Sales Cycle – recognize the importance of each step, and ways to
effectively leverage each essential steps.
o Module Three – Effectively Managing the Sales Resources – develop a Time & Territory work
plan to be used in managing sales activities the subsequent 30 days, after completing this
o Module Four – Successfully use the GAPPOCOM Process – recognize and demonstrate the use
through role-plays the six-steps within the sales cycle.
o Module Five – Delivering Effective Presentation – delivering an impactful presentation would
help a sales professional in winning new business, presenting ideas to customers before and
after the sale, presenting ideas to different levels of management, and securing supports from
Pre-course preparation and reading materials
o Each participant’s respective Port’s business – last annual report, current financial year’s
business plans and sales targets; every participant will be bringing along these materials for
reference during the Course.
o Each participant’s respective Port’s products, sales and marketing plans and targets (for own
and individual reference only, NOT to be shared)
o Each participant’s respective Port’s marketing, sales materials, and presentation packs. (could be
soft and hard-copies available for hand out)
o Each participant’s respective Port’s marketing and / or sales video and / or PowerPoint files
(could be shown via DVD, USB-drive, etc.)
During the course
o Assessing the Corporate Finance target to linking with the sales and market penetration
activities against the KPIs and respective targets.
o Participants will be engaged in multiple role-plays and group discussions to get familiarized &
internalize the learning materials during the course.
o The course director will be available for follow up emails, discussions over the phone.
o Distribution of discussion materials.
o To establish a participant-only online discussion-group.
Who Should Attend?
• All revenue-accountable, client acquisition & retention professionals from Ports businesses:
frontline and telephone sales leaders, business development executives, frontline operations
management, marketing and product development professionals, credit-collection controllers to
get an insightful understanding of the strategic sales function and how their respective functions
could effectively “FIND – GET – KEEP – GROW” the clients.
• Newly appointed functional leaders and the “Fast-Track Talents” into corporate sales, business
development, strategic marketing divisions of Port businesses.
• Corporate sales, and product development professionals who interface with Ports as a business
partner or service providers. (Shipping lines, land service operators, forwarder agents, customs
• Establish clear understanding of the essential selling skills necessary to win high-value contracts,
assure customer loyalty, and maximize monetary return. It is important to maximizing monetary
return, not only for the sales & marketing organization but for the entire ports entity.
• To provide insightful learning about: tools, resources, and methods available to equip the sales
& marketing endeavor and practice in using them. It is important that a frontier sales &
marketing professional be educated to employ the consultative selling skills & process to
effectively investigate and close the deal after identifying explicit business needs.
• Order-takers Vs Professional sales persons, as categorized by noted author Tom Peters as
“frontiers” who have direct contact with the customers
o Clear distinctions between order-takers from professional sales, and the required
capabilities & skills transformation
o Acquiring the necessary skills to exercise consultation and creative selling to handle the
“no’s” and to create the positive business-buy from the client.
o Establishing a trusted relationship with the customer that potential up-sales
opportunities being opened and to create undeveloped potentials and markets for her /
Module one - Corporate and Strategic Sales Objectives – critically assess and crystalize roles &
impacts of the sales professionals in their attainment
Objectives Understanding & Alignment Overview
• Recognize the corporate, functional, individual and counter-parties’ objectives, and to crystalize
the roles & responsibilities of each specific area in their attainment.
• Identify at least five internal and five external resources, and specify how they can be effectively
uses for customer identification and prospecting.
• Develop a Time and Territory work-plan to be used in managing sales activities, that drives
functional and corporate results.
• Understand the various levels of needs, and types of objections Vs barriers in relations to
winning the deals.
Sales-cycle and sales-process Overview
• Identify the five steps of the sales call cycle, and recognize the importance of each.
• Recognize and demonstrate the use of selling skills in effective writing memos, emails, and online
platform that meet the criteria outlined during the course.
• Identify, in writing, and demonstrate via role-plays, the six steps of GAPPOCOM, and its role
within the sales call cycle.
• Demonstrate professional presentation skills and their importance, and be integrated into the
sales call cycle.
Module Two – Five Steps of the Sales Cycle
• Recognize the importance of each and ways to effectively leverage each in winning business buy
• Identify the five steps of the sales call cycle and recognize the importance of each in consultative
• Recognize at least three appropriate actions associated with each of the Five Steps of the sales.
• Explain the importance of customer / supplier alignment in achieving The Quality Advantage.
• Effectively identify at least five internal and five external resources and to specify how they can
be effectively used for customer prospecting.
• Recognize the five buying motives of a customer, and indicate how each may be used to
• Identify and to articulate the three corporate needs of customers, and to explain how each
influence buying decisions.
Module Three – Effectively Managing the Sales Resources – develop a Time & Territory work plan to be used in managing sales activities the first 30 days after completing this Course
• Calculate the selling days, product/service launch period in a defined fiscal period.
• Calculate projected sales turnover against allocated sales incentive and / or promotion funding.
• Calculate mix for the various products from the various sales teams, sales channels; and to map
out the Product Mix Contribution overviews.
• Define and determine yield of the various sales channels and sales teams.
• Recognize the importance of account segmentation and to segment a sales channel and sales
• Applying the elements of Time & Territory management to complete a Sales Resourcing plan for
each channel and sales team.
Module Four – Successfully use the GAPPOCOM Process – recognize and demonstrate the use through role-plays the six-steps within the sales cycle
• Identify the six steps of the GAPPOCOM sales process and the role of each within the sales cycle.
• Relate the GAPPOCOM and its importance to the participant’s respective organization’s
• Define the six steps of GAPPCOM, identify the techniques use to successful perform each.
• Recognize the importance of discovering customer needs, and identify successful methods to
accomplish the effective output.
• Define benefits, recognize the importance to selling benefits to meet customer needs, and
effectively demonstrate the required skills throughout the GAPPOCOM process.
• Effectively formulate applicable Feature-Advantage-Benefit statements for various features of
service of participants’ organizations, and to successfully demonstrate how they are used within
• Demonstrate the appropriate and effective use of the respective participants’ corporate and / or
marketing materials during a client meeting.
• Demonstrate, through role-play at least 90% of the acquired skills as outlined on the module,
use of the six steps of GAPPOCOM during a client meeting.
Module Five – Delivering Effective Presentation – delivering an impactful presentation would help
a sales professional in closing new business, presenting ideas to customers before and after the
sale, presenting ideas to different levels of management, and securing supports from peers.
• Define and outline the purposes and goals for giving presentations.
• Recognize guidelines used to plan, prepare a most effective in informal presentation using the
participants’ corporate collaterals or presentation books.
• Outline and explain the three types of analyses used in planning presentations.
• Identify techniques and guidelines used to efficiently write and deliver impactful presentations.
• Recognize guidelines applicable to planning, creating, and using various types of visual aids to
enhance presentations successful outcome.
• Demonstrate the delivery of informal and formal presentations using the skills as learned in this
About the Course Director
Mr. Edward C. W. LAU, is the Chief Executive | Director of Pointline Enterprise Private Limited; a strategic consulting firm that specialise in transportations, supply-chain, aviation, and M & A integration. Before Mr. Lau returning to Singapore, he was the Chief Executive Officer of Jetstar Hong Kong Airways*, he reports directly to the Jetstar Hong Kong Board. * Subject to regulatory approval
As a veteran in management with over three decades of experience, he brings extensive experience from transport, logistics, freight and aviation sectors.
Edward was awarded five times President Club Winner & two times Sales Hall of Fame Award in Federal Express (FedEx) globally. Moreover, he was a certified global trainer at the Federal Express sales leadership institute, Memphis, TN and an executive-leadership trainer of the Hay Group Management Consulting. Mr. Lau has also held senior roles with the Hay Group, Rosenbluth International and was part of the team that established Federal Express in Hong Kong.
Prior to joining Jetstar Hong Kong, Edward spent over ten years at TNT Express where he held a number of senior positions, most recently Managing Director Hong Kong, where he was responsible for managing TNT Express’ Hong Kong business and its North Asia hub and expanding its cross border operations. He also held the executive positions of Regional Director, Global Account Management, Asia Pacific and Managing Director, Singapore for TNT Express.
Edward was born in Hong Kong. He holds a Graduate Diploma in Business Communications from The
Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and a Postgraduate Award in Management and Business Studies from University of Warwick, UK (WBS). At the personal level, Edward was a guest lecturer at the Shanghai University – MBA Centre, and the CUHK – One MBA program; Edward contributed to the Corporate Mentorship Programs of the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST), and the CUHK; besides he sat on the Tak Shun Secondary School, HK’s governance board.
Please feel free to refer to Mr. Lau’s LinkedIn professional profile for further information.
On or Before 3 Oct 2016: The ‘Early Bird’ Rate is S$8985 – Save S$900!
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$8985!
• From 4 Oct 2016: The Regular Rate is S$9885
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$9885!
Note: All fees stated include luncheons, refreshments and complete set of documentation. It does not include the cost of accommodation and travel.
To register, please submit the following details to email@example.com:
What Best Describes Your Industry Sector?:
For cheque payments: To be made payable to 'Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.' Please do not send post-dated cheque.
For telegraphic transfers:
Account Name: Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.,
Account No. : 695 477 141 001.
Beneficiary Bank: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, Singapore. (Swift: OCBCSGSG),
Address : 65 Chulia Street #01-00, OCBC Centre, Singapore 049513.
Please supply confirmation via email of the TT from your bank. Transmitting bank charges must be paid by sender. Please quote both delegate and company name as reference.
Kindly note that as we are providing a special rate for ‘early bird’ sign up, we will need to receive your company payment by 3 Oct 2016 to enjoy the discount.
Other upcoming GPF executive workshops include:-
1. Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, 14-15 July 2016, Singapore
2. Executive Workshop on Seamless and Standardised Port Operations for customer delight, 3-4 Oct 2016, Singapore
3. Executive Workshop on Strategic Planning for Ports & Terminals, 26-27 Sep 2016, Singapore
4. Executive Workshop on Multi-Purpose Terminal Business & Operations, 11-12 Aug 2016, Singapore
5. Executive Workshop on Ports Financing and Investing, 11-12 Aug 2016, Singapore
6. Executive Workshop on Strategic Planning for Ports & Terminals, 26-27 Sep 2016, Singapore
7. Executive Workshop on Bulk Liquid Terminals, Commercial Considerations for Investment & Financing, 29 - 30 Sept 2016, Singapore
8. Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, 29-30 Sept 2016, Singapore
9. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Port Operations, 3-4 Oct 2016, Singapore
10. Executive Workshop on Use of Technology for Ports and Terminals, 27-28 Oct 2016
Look forward to welcoming you at the executive programme in Singapore!
The Global Ports Forum
GLOBAL PORTS FORUM PTE. LTD.
10 Anson Road
DID: +65 65197662
Fax: +65 6725 8438
Terms & Conditions:
No delegate registration will be accepted without completing registration details and full payment.
Upon receipt of your registration details and full payment, further programme information will be emailed to you including your proforma invoice and, if required, a letter of invitation for entry visa application.
Delegates will not be admitted unless payment has been received in Full.
Flights, Airport Transfers and Accommodation are not included in your delegate registration fee.
Refund Policy - a reimbursement of the registration fee, minus administrative charges will only be made if the participant has notified Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd. in writing that he/she is unable to attend the event no less than 30 days prior to the commencement of the event. No cancellation is allowed after that, but a replacement with another participant is allowed.
This programme is subject to change without notice, E&O.E.