Actions and Detail Panel
Global Ports Forum presents – Executive Workshop on Coal Terminals Supply C...
Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 9:00 AM – Fri, 13 Oct 2017, 5:00 PM Singapore Standard Time Singapore Time
Global Ports Forum presents – Executive Workshop on Coal Terminals Supply Chain Developments, Trends and Operations
October 12-13, 2017 Singapore
Nov 30 - Dec1 2017, Melbourne
January 28-29, 2018, Dubai, UAE
About The Workshop
This two days executive workshop is targeted to provide an overview of Coal terminals and their role as the most crucial link in logistics supply chain. There is a whole range of Coal Terminals and Ports from very basic barge loading / unloading systems connecting with anchorage operations to the most modern state-of-the-art coal loading / unloading terminals depending upon market size and volume to be handled. Ownership, operatorship and commercial aspect also vary based on users’ requirements and risk perceptions. While large scale coal miners, suppliers, users and traders tend to control the supply chain by using their own dedicated terminals, common user coal terminals are also equally important and these common user terminals cater to requirements of a number of users requiring terminal services for their coal handling requirements. This workshop targets to enable participants to understand comprehensive process to develop coal handling terminals from site selection to hinterland mapping, assessment of market potential, optimization of investment in cargo handling, storage and hinterland connectivity. The workshop also aims to provide steps involved in process of environment management, detailed project report, concession agreement and understanding other commercial terms for coal terminals. Another objective of the workshop is to prepare the participants to excel in operations of coal terminals for satisfaction of customers and all stake holders in order to achieve desired financial objectives.
Significance / relevance of the workshop
During the last two decades, trade volume of coal has shown a significant increase, reaching a level of over 1400 Million MT in the year 2014. Main factor attributable to the steady growth in coal trade is the economics of coal consumption as fuel in comparison with other alternative fuels. For the very same factor of economics, in a relatively low valued bulk commodity like coal, logistics cost is the most controllable element in the entire value chain. Effective and efficient logistics management makes the most significant contribution in the profitability of coal business value chain. At both exports and imports end of the logistics chain, it is essential to create optimum infrastructure and handling, storage and hinterland connectivity /evacuation capacity in line with volume of commodity to be handled. The workshop will use a number of examples of coal terminals in different parts of the world and provide a broad overview to enable participants to draw on best practices which can be adapted as per their own operative environment.
At the end of this workshop, the participants should be able to:
- Understand significance and role of coal terminals in national and regional context
- Learn the process of coal terminal development along with detailed steps involved at each stage of development
- Develop comprehensive understanding about market, customer classification, expectation and aligning service levels & pricing with customer priorities.
- Get deep knowledge about Coal logistics chain and total logistics cost comparison with calculation of sea freight, hinterland connectivity and land logistics costs.
- Learn about Port operations and cargo handling systems for coal.
- Understand financial calculations for coal terminal investment and operation.
A combination of Class room Training, Interactive workshops, Individual and group case studies will be used. Participants will be provided with advance study / reading material on each topic covered under deliverables.
Who Should Attend
Government and public bodies responsible for Port and Terminal development; Port Authorities; Port / Terminal developers, Port / terminal operators; Port investors, Banks, PE, Financial Institutions; Port Service providers; Shipping Companies, Forwarders, Logistics companies, Intermodal Service providers; Port Equipment Suppliers; Port Designers / Planners; Port Consultants and all those connected with Coal trade – miners / suppliers / traders / users.
Coal trade scenario: A global perspective of coal trade, shipping arrangements for coal cargo; coal ports and terminals and need for private sector participation in coal ports and terminals.
A systemic approach to step wise process of coal terminal development:
- Stage 1 – Site selection, understanding statutory policies and requirement for coal terminal, prefeasibility study and data collection, preparing roadmap for project execution
- Stage 2 – Modelling and studies of marine conditions, Rapid Environment Impact Assessment, Assessment of Business and Cargo potential with hinterland mapping and competition analysis
- Stage 3 – Market assessment and price sensitivity, Detailed Environment Impact Assessment, Detailed Project Report
- Stage 4 – Financial analysis and Financial closure
- Stage 5 – Construction contracting and Equipment procurement
Operational Excellence: Defining service parameters, Standard Operating Procedures, Work instructions and checklists as well as compliance review. Define Key Result Areas (KRAs) or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Operations of coal terminals should cover all areas of port operations in addition, hinterland logistics which forms an integrated part of coal terminal services.
Financial Modelling: Using financial modelling based on volume of coal traffic and assumed revenue / operating costs; a group case study will be conducted to demonstrate practical financial aspects and preparing price sensitivity exercise for all level of participants’ 360 degree understanding and applying the concepts on the job.
About the Course Director:
This program will be conducted by Mr. Mukesh Parikh who is associated with Global Maritime Industry for over 35 years. He has a distinction of having hands on Maritime Industry experience with continuous involvement in Training and Development throughout his distinguished career.
Mr. Mukesh Parikh has a post graduate degree in Management with specialization in Marketing and Finance. He attended one year training program Professional Shipping at Norwegian Shipping Academy, Oslo.
During his career of 18 years in the Commercial Shipping, he was associated with UNCTAD/UNDP as a Trainer and Course developer. He attended two weeks instructors Workshop (Training for Trainers) organized by UNCTAD / UNDP in collaboration with The Ministry of Transport and Ports in Malaysia at Penang Port Commission. He conducted a number of training Programs in the Middle East, South East Asia and Indian subcontinent including developing a training program on General Shipping Management for Arab Maritime Transport Academy, Sharjah, UAE.
A sound foundation of Shipping Industry and clear understanding of market and customer expectation and requirement from service providers enabled Mr. Mukesh Parikh to build the next phase of his career in Ports and Terminal Industry.
He worked with The Adani Group in Senior Management position for 10 years from the inception stage of Mundra Port in India and made a major contribution to set up Business Development and Marketing team as well as establish Standard Operating Procedures for the entire spectrum of Operations in the port. He successfully built marketing and operations teams and trained them. His next role was Chief Operating Officer of Sterling Port for setting up integrated Port Facilities at Dahej Port. All stages of Green Field Port development were covered – From site selection to Feasibility, Environment Impact Assessment and Environment clearance for the project, Detailed Project Report, Concession Agreement with Authorities for development of Port Infrastructure and facilities on Build, Own, Operate and Transfer model.
Since July 2014, Mr. Mukesh Parikh has taken up advisory and consultancy role for The Maritime Industry. His assignments cover Business volume estimation and hinterland mapping with competition analysis, Revenue forecasts for the life of the project and financial modelling, investment optimization in line with market potential; Commercial and legal aspects of logistics, cargo handling, warehousing contracts; business excellence and standardization of operating procedures; Organization development, structuring and Manpower planning and training. He has also advised a number of clients about the Concession agreements and entering in to sub-concessions.
We have created a facebook page for Global Ports Forum, where event photos are uploaded.
On or Before 12 Sep 2017: The ‘Early Bird’ Rate is S$2895 – Save S$400!
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$2895!
- From 13 Sep 2017: The Regular Rate is S$3295
Special Offer! – 3 Delegates For The Price of 2 in This Category! Save S$3295!
Note: All fees stated include luncheons, refreshments and complete set of documentation. It does not include the cost of accommodation and travel.
REGISTER NOW !
To register, please submit the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
What Best Describes Your Industry Sector?:
For cheque payments: To be made payable to ‘Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.’ Please do not send post-dated cheque.
For telegraphic transfers:
Account Name: Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd.,
Account No. : 695 477 141 001.
Beneficiary Bank: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, Singapore. (Swift: OCBCSGSG),
Address : 65 Chulia Street #01-00, OCBC Centre, Singapore 049513.
Please supply confirmation via email of the TT from your bank. Transmitting bank charges must be paid by sender. Please quote both delegate and company name as reference.
Kindly note that as we are providing a special rate for ‘early bird’ sign up, we will need to receive your company payment by 12 Sep 2017 to enjoy the discount.
Details of GPF executive workshops/forums in the upcoming few months include:
1. 2nd Executive Workshop on Strategic Planning for Ports & Terminals, 3-4 April 17, Singapore.
2. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Managing Tenancies / Leases - Landlord and Tenant Obligations in Business Tenancies, Apr 4-5 2017 Singapore
3. Executive Workshop on Excel in Developing, Implementing & Managing Service Level Agreements, 6-7 April 2017, Singapore
4. Executive Programme on Achieving Excellence in Winning Deals & Effective Sales Management – Proven Techniques & Insights for Ports & Terminals, April 17-21, 2017, Singapore
5. 3rd Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, 18-19 Apr 2017, Capetown, South Africa
6. 2nd Executive Workshop on InterModal Solutions – Value Creation, USP identification & Market Positioning for Ports & Terminals, 20-21 April 2017, Capetown, South Africa
7. 2nd Executive Workshop on Multi-Purpose Terminal Business & Operations, April 24-25, 2017, Singapore
8. Executive Workshop on Effective Concession Agreements for Ports & Terminals, 24-25 April, 2017, Singapore
9. Executive Workshop on Coal Terminals Supply Chain Developments, Trends and Operations, 27-28 April 17, Singapore
10. The Global Ports Management & Advanced Management Programs, 29 Apr-11 May 2017, Singapore
11. 3rd Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, May 08-09,2017, Singapore
12. Executive Workshop on Bulk Liquid Terminals – A Comprehensive Overview for potential Investors, May 11-12, 2017, Singapore
13. Executive Workshop on Dry Bulk Terminals – Commercial & Operational Excellence, 11-12 May, 2017 Singapore
14. 2nd Executive Workshop on InterModal Solutions – Value Creation, USP identification & Market Positioning for Ports & Terminals, May 15-16,2017, Singapore
15. 2nd Executive Workshop on Advanced Shipping Business, May 18-19 2017, Singapore
16. 2nd Executive Workshop on Reefer Container Logistics, May 18-19, 2017, Singapore
17. 3rd Executive Workshop on Investment Strategies for Green / Brown Field Port Projects, June 6-7, 2017, Hamburg, Germany
18. 4th Executive Workshop on Ports Financing and Investing, 7-8 June 2017, Hamburg, Germany
19. An invitation to register and participate at the 3rd Global Ports Forum, Hamburg Germany from 8-9 June 2017.
20. Executive Workshop on Bulk Liquid Terminals – A Comprehensive Overview for potential Investors in Asian Terminals, 8-9 Jun, 2017, Hamburg, Germany
21. Executive Workshop on Dry Bulk Terminals – Commercial & Operational Excellence, June 08-09, 2017 Hamburg, Germany
22. Ports & Terminals Capacity Planning and Financial Investment Analysis, July 3-4, 2017 Singapore
23. Executive Workshop on Excellence in Negotiating & Managing Contracts, Aug 3-4 2017, Singapore
24. 2nd Executive Workshop on Bulk Liquid Terminals, Commercial Considerations for Investment & Financing, Aug 14-15 2017, Singapore
25. 5th Executive Workshop on Ports Financing and Investing, 7-8 Sep 2017, Miami, USA
26. Miami to Host the 4th Global Ports Forum, 7-8 Sep 2017, Miami, USA
27. 2nd Executive Workshop on InterModal Solutions – Value Creation, USP identification & Market Positioning for Ports & Terminals, September 20-21, 2017 Dubai, UAE
28. Singapore to host the 5th Global Ports Forum, 25-26 Oct 2017, Singapore
Look forward to welcoming you at the executive workshops and forums!
The Global Ports Forum
GLOBAL PORTS FORUM PTE. LTD.
10 Anson Road
Mobile: +65 9684 3289
DID: +65 65197662
Fax: +65 6725 8438
Terms & Conditions:
No delegate registration will be accepted without completing registration details and full payment.
Upon receipt of your registration details and full payment, further programme information will be emailed to you including your proforma invoice and, if required, a letter of invitation for entry visa application.
Delegates will not be admitted unless payment has been received in Full.
Flights, Airport Transfers and Accommodation are not included in your delegate registration fee.
Refund Policy – a reimbursement of the registration fee, minus administrative charges will only be made if the participant has notified Global Ports Forum Pte. Ltd. in writing that he/she is unable to attend the event no less than 30 days prior to the commencement of the event. No cancellation is allowed after that, but a replacement with another participant is allowed.
This programme is subject to change without notice, E&O.E.