Are You The Next Dancing Sensation
Think you’ve got the moves to thrill and rock an audience? Round up your friends and show off your cool steps at the NYP Groove! street dance competition. Stand to win attractive prizes!
Who Can Join?
All secondary school and ITE students
- Secondary School
Dance group size:
3 to 10 members
- Registration closes on 27 Nov 2016
- Auditions on 5 Dec 2016
- Finals on 7 Jan 2017
By participating in NYP Groove!, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
- The competition is open to all secondary school and ITE students except established artistes with contracts.
- Group members need not come from the same school but all members must be either current secondary school or ITE students.
- In the event of a mixed group whereby the group members are mixture of current secondary school and ITE students, the group can only participate in the ITE Category.
- Each group must consist of three to ten members of the same or mixed gender.
- Street dance is a collective term to describe all hip-hop and funk dance styles such as breakdance, popping, locking, etc. Contestants can choose to perform any of the street dance styles, including mix and match different styles into a dance piece.
- Registration closes on 27 Nov 2016. NYP reserves the right to reject late applications and applications that do not meet the requirements stated here.
- Registered applicants will be invited to an audition at Nanyang Polytechnic, Auditorium on 5 Dec 2016.
- Selected groups will be invited to participate in the finals on 7 Jan 2017 at Nanyang Polytechnic.
- Contestants must be available for Auditions and Finals on the stipulated dates above, if selected.
- Time limit for each dance item is between three to five minutes.
- Contestants must provide their own music CDs in mp3 format for both the audition and finals. Basic sound system will be provided.
- Music player, iPods, smartphones and laptops may be used, however all tracks must be supplied on separate playlists. Smartphones must be put into airplane mode prior to the performance and set to full volume.
- Props are allowed provided that they are not dangerous and must be cleared by the contestants from the stage immediately after the performance.
- Inappropriate sexual gestures or movement are not advised and group outfits must be age appropriate.
- Contestants will be judged based on the following criteria:
1) Skills – 25 points
2) Musicality & Creativity – 25 points
3) Choreography – 25 points
4) Presentation – 25 points
- Contestants must produce their student pass for verification purposes during registration.
- Replacement of member is allowed but the group must inform the organizer prior to every stage of the competition. Groups with two or less members on the day of competition will be disqualified.
- Contestants must be in good physical condition and the physical capacity to participate in this competition. The organizer will not be liable to any contestant for any loss, damage or injuries caused during the competition.
- You will be auto-included in NYP’s mailing list to receive informational and promotional content related to NYP. We respect your privacy and will keep your information confidential; we will not disclose it to any third party without prior written consent from you. However, if you do not wish to receive any informational and promotional content related to NYP, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list upon receiving the first email. Please note that you will still receive information on the current event that you have registered for.
- The organiser reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions without prior notice.
- The judges’ decision is final and irrevocable.
When & Where
Established in 1992, Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) offers a distinctive brand of polytechnic education, with 47 full-time diploma courses, and three programmes, in various fields of Engineering, Information Technology, Design, Interactive & Digital Media, Chemical & Life Sciences, Business, and Health Sciences. Working in close collaboration with its wide network of industry and institutional partners, NYP prepares its students for rewarding careers and equips them for further education. Its curriculum strikes a purposeful balance of academic coursework, practice-oriented training, and all-round development of students. Opportunities for international programmes further enhance its students' world-readiness.
Uniquely, an NYP education ignites in students the spirit of innovation and enterprise, nurturing them to be creative problem-solvers and entrepreneurial individuals. Because We Can!