Dr Coole, formerly of the Australian SAS Counter Terrorism Unit, and a qualified professional researcher and academic in the security field, will speak on the increasing need for higher and higher qualifications in the security industry internationally. Why are professional qualifications relevant? Why is industry looking for university qualified professionals? And what does this mean to professionals in the industry today.
9.00am – Registration
9.30am – Seminar starts
10.30am – FAQs
11.00am – Brunch and networking
About the Speaker
Michael is a Lecturer in the School of Science and a member of the ECU Security Research Institute.
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- Access Control Systems
- Closed Circuit Television Systems
- Facility Management
- Physical Security
- Industrial Security Procedures
- Security and Risk Management
- Management of the Security Function
- Served in the Royal Australian Navy as a Clearance Diver
- Served with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment for Counter-terrorist duties
- Worked within the correctional security environment in physical, personnel security and emergency management operations
- Consultant focusing on security related aspects of works projects and Physical Protection Systems assessments (PPS)
Research Areas and Interests
- Security Decay
- Security Metrics
- Mapping the organisational structure of the security profession
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), Curtin University of Technology, 2015.
- MSc (Master of Science), Edith Cowan University, 2011.
- Dip (Diploma), UNKNOWN, 2010.
- BSc (Bachelor of Science), Edith Cowan University, 2008.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Coole, M., Brooks, D., Treagust, D., (2015), The physical security professional: formulating a novel body of knowledge. Journal of Applied Security Research, 10(3), 385-410, Binghamton, NY, DOI: 10.1080/19361610.2015.1038768.
- Coole, M., Brooks, D., (2014), Do Security Systems Fail Because of Entropy?. Journal of Physical Security, 7(2), 50-76, Argonne, United States.
- Brooks, D., Coole, M., Johnson, C., Corkill, J., Jenkinson, M., (2015), Efficacy of property marking as situational crime prevention strategy. The Proceedings of 8th Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 5-11, Perth, WA.
- Kiszelewska, A., Coole, M., (2013), Physical security barrier selection: A decision support analysis. Proceedings of the 6th Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 28-39, Perth, Western Australia.
- Corkill, J., Coole, M., (2013), Security, control and deviance: Mapping the security domain and why it matters. Changing the way we think about change: Shifting boundaries, changing lives, 142-149, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Coole, M., Corkill, J., Woodward, A., (2012), Defence in depth, protection in depth and security in depth: A comparative analysis towards a common usage language. The Proceedings of the 5th Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 27-35, Perth, Western Australia.
- Coole, M., Woodward, A., Valli, C., (2012), Understanding the vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi and the impact on its use in CCTV systems. The Proceedings of the 5th Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 36-43, Perth, Western Australia.
- Coole, M., Brooks, D., (2011), Mapping the organizational relations within physical security?s body of knowledge: A management heuristic of sound theory and best practice. Proceedings of the 4th Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 49-57, Perth, Western Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Judging Dread: A Quantitative Investigation Of Affect, Psychometric Dread And Risk Consequence
Date and Time
Ntuc Learninghub Pte Ltd - Ntuc Trade Union House
73 Bras Basah Road
Level 4, Classroom 4A
Singapore, Singapore 189556