San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
There has never been a better time to get your message across to an interested, intelligent audience. This workshop looks at both the content and business of writing for newspapers, magazines and their digital counterparts.
- Writing for newspapers, magazines and their digital counterparts can be divided into three categories – news, opinion and features. This workshop will briefly touch upon the market for news, and then will closely examine opinion pieces and short and mid-length feature stories.
- Participants will look at distilling and crystallizing their messages and converting their story ideas into short, sharp and dynamic pieces of non-fiction for the popular media. The workshop will suggest some tried and tested journalists’ techniques to allow participants to really bring their stories to life.
- The workshop will also look at all facets of the business, including the marketing and selling of writing to newspapers, magazines and their digital counterparts.
- Participants will develop ‘pitches’ ready for submission to newspaper, magazine and online editors with a view to publication in mainstream media.
- Participants should come prepared with ideas for two or three ‘stories’ that they feel would be of interest to a general print or electronic audience as well as an idea of where they think their stories might be placed.
For ten years now Simon Clews has been the Director of Melbourne University’s Writing Centre for Scholars and Researchers. Simon also regularly offers non-fiction writing workshops for writers all around the world. He is Creative Program Director for Melbourne's Reader’s Feast book store producing Writers on Collins, an annual program of literary events,and Crime & Justice, a celebration of crime writing and social justice that takes place in late November. He is a regular book reviewer and writer of newspaper articles . Simon has just set up a digital start-up publishing company – ideePOP – which will offer exciting short to medium length non-fiction writing by breakout writers.
10% discount for Kinokuniya Privilege Card Membrs! Please e-mail email@example.com for promotional code to enjoy this discount.
For enquiries, please contact
Premadevi: 6848 8297
Judi: 6848 8290